Honos Civicus for the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. Inductees have the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on their community involvement while creating an alumni network who share a meaningful, continued commitment to civic life and social impact through their scholarship and professional careers.
Strong candidates at the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences could experience and draw from a variety of civic activities, which may include research, teaching, community service, or volunteer activities. Strong applications will show:
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement through traditional volunteer service in non-University organizations, through research engagement with strong civic or public applicability, or through other service or engagement outside of university affiliations, including internships or projects required by the degree and full-time, year-round paid positions.
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication within community service projects.
- Everyday acts of volunteer service.
- Demonstrated commitment to Tufts University’s values of inclusivity, collaboration, innovation, and active citizenship for their own learning and development as well as for the greater, public good
Students who wish to apply to join Honos Civicus must have:
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements, which may vary by department.
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- A strong academic record.
Students may apply to join Honos Civicus during the same calendar year in which they have graduated or will graduate. February graduates will thus apply to join Honos Civicus after their graduation, while May and August graduates will apply to join Honos Civicus prior to their graduation.
Applications will be reviewed by the GSAS Honos Civicus Committee, which includes representatives from the Tisch College of Civic Life, faculty members from GSAS, and representatives from the GSAS Dean’s Office.
The application timeline for the Class of 2021 is:
Application opens: January 25, 2021
Applications close: March 1, 2021 at 11:45 pm
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition in the 2021 Commencement Program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Features on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group.