Honos Civicus at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
Honos Civicus celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. Inductees have the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on their community involvement while creating an alumni network of veterinary health professionals who share a meaningful, continued commitment to civic life and social impact through their careers.
The application period for Class of 2021 veterinary students is open now! Please check the blue box on the righthand side of this page for the application. You can read more about Honos Civicus eligibility and requirements below.
Many different civic activities undertaken by veterinary students may be included as part of an Honos Civicus application. For example:
- Community outreach through Cummings School student organizations or self-initiated volunteer service through membership in non-University affiliated program that involves underserved or vulnerable community or population group(s)
- Leadership in Cummings School student organizations involved in community service
- Population health (human and animal) related research projects that are self-initiated or may be supported by student research fellowship programs
- Elective coursework incorporating civic engagement and associated community outreach
- Significant contribution through public health and animal health advocacy
- Written works (e.g., featured story, newsletter article, reflection, or journal article) or innovative ideas/products (e.g., website, downloadable app, teaching/learning technique, product line, other)
Veterinary students who wish to join Honos Civicus must have:
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements, which includes the required rotation for DVM students at Tufts at Tech.
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior
- Good academic and professional standing
For more information, contact Erin King at email@example.com.