Honos Civicus at the School of Medicine
The Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic LIfe are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications and recommendations for the Honos Civicus Society Class of 2019 at TUSM. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating fourth-year students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Tufts University School of Medicine. Inductees have the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on their community involvement while creating an alumni network of health professionals who share a meaningful, continued commitment to civic life and social impact through their careers.
In May 2018 we celebrated the induction of the newest TUSM Honos Civicus Society members. Read more about them here!
We now invite M19 students interested in Honos Civicus to apply.
Strong Candidates Will Have
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements (The CSL requirement for MD students; the ALE for MD/MPH students).
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication within community service project(s).
- Made a positive impact.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- A strong academic record.
Students will be ineligible if they have any of the following:
- more than two interim failures of preclinical courses
- a grade of low pass or failure in a clinical rotation
- any permanent failures in any course
- demonstrated lack of professionalism
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition at a ceremony of Class of 2019 Tufts Health Sciences Graduate students accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the commencement program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Features on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of active citizen health professionals.
Applications will be reviewed by the Honos Civicus Subcommittee of the Community Service Learning Steering Committee, which includes representatives from Tisch College of Civic Life, faculty members from the School of Medicine, and representatives from both TUSM’s Office of Student Affairs and Office of Educational Affairs.
The application timeline for the Class of 2019 will be:
Monday, May 21st, 2018: Application process is open
Monday, July 9, 2018: Application due
Late August, 2018: Announcement of Class of 2019 Honos Civicus Society
February 4th, 2019: Second wave application cycle due
Tuesday, May 14th,* 12:30-2pm: Honos Civicus Society Induction Ceremony and Luncheon
Email Jen Greer-Morrissey at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.