Tisch Summer Fellows: 2020 Elections
Tisch College is committed to supporting Tufts University students in all aspects of civic engagement, including politics, both during the academic year and in the summer. As we embark on our 20th anniversary year, which coincides with the pivotal 2020 election cycle, we seek to expand this commitment by supporting students who wish to engage with political campaigns (of all types and political affiliations) during the summer of 2020.
To that end, Tisch College is offering two opportunities available to all current Tufts students:
- 10 Tisch Campaign Fellowships of up to $4,000 each.
- A fully funded two-week experience at either the 2020 DNC or RNC Convention working with a media, advocacy or logistics organization
Information about each opportunity, including how to apply, is below.
Tisch Campaign Fellowships
Tisch College will support 10 fellowships, of up to $4,000 each to current Tufts students to work on political campaigns, across the political spectrum, during the summer of 2020. Please note that, unlike our other Tisch Summer Fellowships, we are not coordinating placements for students within campaigns; we are offering funding for campaign internships that students secure independently.
Students may work for the summer on a campaign for a 2020 candidate, an issue advocacy campaign directly related to the 2020 election, or a voter registration campaign directly related to the 2020 election. Campaigns may be local, state, or national and of any political party. These funding awards will be made on a competitive basis.
- Secure a campaign internship of at least 30 hours/week, for 8-10 weeks, between May 1-September 1, 2020
- Provide proof of internship/job offer, including contact information of supervisor
- Apply for funding by March 30, 2020
- Attend an orientation with Tisch College staff in late April
- Attend a virtual meeting with Tisch College staff in July
- Submit a reflection paper on their experience by September 15, 2020
2020 DNC and RNC Convention Experience
Do you want to attend the Democratic National Convention (July 5-17, 2020) or the Republican National Convention (August 16-28, 2020), working closely with a media, advocacy or logistics organization? Tisch College is partnering with the Washington Center to send four Tufts University students to an innovative, two-week, intensive program at the 2020 major party conventions (two students to each convention).
Students engage in seminars and small group discussions, attend convention events, and complete a fieldwork assignment. Fieldwork placements vary: from media organizations and advocacy groups to host committees and state delegations. Past students have conducted interviews, prepared event logistics, met VIPs and supported the convention from behind the scenes. They have worked with, among other organizations, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, the Dallas Morning News, the Democratic Convention Committee, the National Women’s Political Caucus, the Republican Committee on Arrangements, Rock the Vote, and various State Delegations.
Housing is included, and the full cost of the program is covered by this Tisch College-funded opportunity. Tisch College has limited travel funding available for students, if needed. You can find more information on the program here,
How to apply:
- Complete the online application by March 2, 2020
- Indicate your preference for: DNC, RNC, or either
- Indicate if additional travel funding (airfare) will be needed
- Students will be notified by Friday, March 10, 2020
- Students agree to submit a reflection paper on their experience by September 15, 2020