Tisch Summer Fellows: Friedman School of Nutrition
The Tisch Summer Fellows (TSF) program offers substantive stipended internships that allow Tufts students to enhance their learning, acquire concrete skills, grow their networks, and explore career paths while working on important issues and building stronger communities. Tisch College is excited to partner with the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy to offer their students unique Tisch Summer Fellowships for nutrition students. Developed in collaboration with Friedman staff and faculty, these internship positions are designed to complement students' learning while allowing them to contribute to community health or otherwise have a positive impact on the public's wellbeing.
The TSF program is funded in part by a generous gift from the James and Judith K. Dimon Foundation, established by Judy and Jamie Dimon, A78. In New York, specific placements are funded by individual donors.
Fellows will work approximately 35 hours/week for ten weeks between June 4, 2018-August 10, 2018.
- Food for Free - Food Rescue (Greater Boston)
- City Harvest - Emergent Learning (New York)
- City Harvest - Learning and Evaluation (New York)
- Food Recovery Network - Storytelling through Data (Washington, D.C.)
- USDA - McGovern International Nutrition Fellow (Washington, D.C.)
Note: Additional fellowships at the USDA are not exclusive to Friedman students but may be of particular interest to them. Friedman students are also eligible to apply for other TSF positions that specify general graduate level experience.
Tisch Summer Fellowships for Friedman School students include:
- Substantive 10-week internship at a specific organization
- Stipend of $3,800-$4,100 (depending on city)
- On-campus orientation before the summer
- Peer meetings for knowledge-sharing and reflection
- Opportunities to meet and network with Tufts alumni in your city
- Short final reflection paper
- Opportunities to share your experience when you return to campus.
To apply for TSF: Friedman School Fellowship, please complete the online application accessible at the top right of this page. Applications will be due on January 22nd at Noon.
The application asks for basic information and prompts you to answer short essay questions about your interest in the position, the skills and experiences you would bring to the work, and what you hope to gain from the experience. In addition, you will be asked to submit the following documents to TischCollegeSubmissions@tufts.edu with your full name and the name of the organization in the subject line:
- Current CV
- Cover letter
- One letter of recommendation. The recommender does not need to be associated to Tufts University and cannot be a current student. Recommenders can send their letter to the applicant to submit or to TischCollegeSubmissions@tufts.edu - the applicant's name and the placement(s) you are applying to must be included in the email.
Essay Question: When selecting students for these fellowships, we seek to create experiences that balance benefits to the students, as well as to the organizations.
Out of all of the summer internships available, within the Tisch Summer Fellows program and beyond, why are you passionate about this placement? Please consider the following:
a) What strengths, qualities and experiences do you bring to the role that has been described?
b) What do you hope to gain from this experience?
For more information, please contact Maggie McMorrow, Tisch College Program Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join our contact list for more information on Tisch College.