Tufts 1+4 Bridge-Year Service Learning Program
The Tufts 1+4 Program has been thoughtfully designed to provide a comprehensive learning experience. Program elements build on and complement each other, and participants are supported every step of the way so that their time before, during, and after the service year is meaningful and rewarding. As a 1+4 Fellow, you will:
- Prepare - A weeklong, on-campus orientation led by Tufts staff and faculty, extensive on-site orientations led by each service organization, and access to online resources and materials prepare Fellows for the experience.
- Serve - Bridge-Year Fellows’ full-time placements offer a transformational experience for participants while allowing them to have an impact on the causes they care about and the communities where they live. A variety of locations and service areas are available!
- Learn - For the duration of the program, Bridge-Year Fellows are enrolled in a blended learning, for-credit Tufts University course. Through creative assignments and interaction with their classmates, the course enhances learning and development while connecting Fellows across locations.
- Immerse - Fellows learn about and become a part of their host communities by building relationships with host families, colleagues and supervisors, and through participation in cultural events and group activities. Program alumni often consider this the most meaningful part of their time abroad.
- Reflect - Fellows take part in structured reflections and trainings that foster personal growth and promote increased understanding of the complex sociocultural issues they grapple with throughout the service experience. Some students share their reflections in out Tufts 1+4 blog!
- Return - During their first semester at Tufts, Fellows reconnect with one another and with Tufts staff through an off-campus weekend retreat focused on reflection and integrating their bridge year into their college experience. They also receive continued support in order to connect their service experience to academic, extracurricular and career choices, and continue to benefit from their 1+4 peers and community.
Learn More About the Program
Tufts 1+4 offers a wide variety of service opportunities in the U.S. and around the world. Learn more about international programs in Brazil, Ecuador, India, and Nicaragua, domestic opportunities with City Year, and all the ways you can serve.
Read about the current group of students in our program and learn about how they're impacting their new communities
Learn about program eligibility, the application process and timeline, and available financial support for the Tufts 1+4 program