Tufts 1+4 Bridge Year
Tisch College’s innovative bridge year program provides accepted Tufts students the opportunity to learn from a transformational year of full-time community service before beginning their academic studies. Tufts 1+4 is designed to enable students to gain real-world experience with a community organization; discover new personal, academic, and professional passions; and learn about themselves and the world. Through generous support from our donors, Tufts 1+4 provides need-based support for any applicant who needs help defraying the costs of the program, including full support to all students who qualify for Tufts financial aid.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Tufts 1+4 for the 2021-2022 academic year. However, we are offering a Tufts Civic Semester program based in the Southwestern United States. While we encourage you to explore and consider that program, please read on to learn more about Tufts 1+4, which we hope to offer again starting next year.
The Tufts 1+4 program has been thoughtfully designed to provide a comprehensive learning experience. Program elements build on and complement each other, and participants are supported every step of the way so that their time before, during, and after the service year is meaningful and rewarding. As a 1+4 Fellow, you will:
- Prepare - A weeklong, on-campus orientation led by Tufts staff and faculty, extensive on-site orientations led by each service organization, and access to online resources and materials prepare fellows for the experience.
- Serve - Tufts 1+4 Fellows’ full-time placements offer a transformational experience for participants while allowing them to have an impact on the causes they care about and the communities where they live. A variety of locations and service areas are available!
- Learn - For the duration of the program, Tufts 1+4 Fellows are enrolled in a blended learning, for-credit Tufts University English course. Through creative assignments and interaction with their classmates, the course enhances learning and development while connecting fellows across locations.
- Immerse - Fellows learn about and become a part of their host communities by building relationships with host families, colleagues and supervisors, and through participation in cultural events and group activities. Program alumni often consider this the most meaningful part of their experience.
- Reflect - Fellows take part in structured reflections and trainings that foster personal growth and promote increased understanding of the complex sociocultural issues they grapple with throughout the service experience. Some students share their reflections in our Tufts 1+4 blog!
- Return - During their first semester at Tufts, fellows reconnect with one another and with Tufts staff through a retreat focused on reflection and integrating their bridge year into their college experience. They also receive continued support in order to connect their service experience to academic, extracurricular and career choices, and continue to benefit from their 1+4 peers and community.
Learn More About the Program
Tufts 1+4 offers a wide variety of service opportunities around the world. Learn more about our international programs in Brazil, Ecuador, India, and Uruguay, and all the ways you can serve.
Read about the current group of students in our program and learn about how they're impacting their new communities
Learn about program eligibility, the application process and timeline, and available financial support for the Tufts 1+4 program