Good public policy is built on evidence and information, both of which are often lacking in state-level governance. And with partisanship hobbling activity at the federal level, states like Massachusetts need tailored analysis if they are going to take the lead on policy innovation.
To fill this gap, we've established a Center for State Policy Analysis (cSPA, pronounced sea-spa) at Tufts University's Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life.
With rigorous, timely, nonpartisan analysis of live legislative issues and statewide ballot initiatives in Massachusetts, cSPA helps lawmakers develop effective solutions to pressing problems—while also allowing citizens to assess the impact of ballot initiatives.
So long as Covid-19 continues to circulate, this election season is going to look radically different.…
After the first, convulsive phase of the COVID-19 crisis has passed, states like Massachusetts will determine how to gradually restart the economy and safely reopen parts of social life.…
In mere weeks, Covid-19 has battered the stock market, disrupted businesses of all sizes, and transformed daily life across Massachusetts. Lawmakers should prepare for an equally dramatic collapse in state tax revenues.…
cSPA in the News
cSPA is led by Executive Director Evan Horowitz, former “Quick Study Columnist” for the Boston Globe, who has also spent time in academia and at several Massachusetts-based think tanks. In this effort, he is supported by the Dean of Tisch College Alan Solomont, the Tisch College team, and an advisory council that includes:
- Governor Jane Swift, President and Executive Director of LearnLaunch
- Governor Michael Dukakis, Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Northeastern University
- Alan Solomont, Dean of Tisch College, U.S. Ambassador (ret.)
- Michael Widmer, Former President of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- Michael Curry, Deputy CEO & General Counsel at the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Katherine Craven, Chief Administrative and Financial Officer at Babson
- Ted Landsmark, Director of the Dukakis Center at Northeastern University
- David Cash, Dean of the John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies at UMass Boston
- Carolyn Ryan, Senior Vice President for Policy and Research at the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Kate Dineen, Executive Vice President at A Better City
- Jeffrey Berry, Professor of Political Science at Tufts University
More information about cSPA will be available soon. if you have suggestions or questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.