Good public policy is built on evidence and information, both of which are often lacking in state-level governance. And with partisanship hobbling activity at the federal level, states like Massachusetts need tailored analysis if they are going to take the lead on policy innovation.
To fill this gap, we've established a Center for State Policy Analysis (cSPA, pronounced sea-spa) at Tufts University's Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life.
With rigorous, timely, nonpartisan analysis of live legislative issues and statewide ballot initiatives in Massachusetts, cSPA helps lawmakers develop effective solutions to pressing problems—while also allowing citizens to assess the impact of ballot initiatives.
In this brief, the Center for State Policy Analysis offers a framework for understanding key differences between two police reform bills in the Massachusetts House and Senate, highlighting the choices and trade-offs involved in achieving common ground.…
With the economy in turmoil and unemployment spiking, businesses and families across Massachusetts need emergency aid.…
So long as Covid-19 continues to circulate, this election season is going to look radically different.…
cSPA in the News
cSPA is led by Executive Director Evan Horowitz, former “Quick Study Columnist” for the Boston Globe, who has also spent time in academia and at several Massachusetts-based think tanks. In this effort, he is supported by the Dean of Tisch College Alan Solomont, the Tisch College team, and an advisory council that includes:
- Governor Jane Swift, President and Executive Director of LearnLaunch
- Governor Michael Dukakis, Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Northeastern University
- Alan Solomont, Dean of Tisch College, U.S. Ambassador (ret.)
- Michael Widmer, Former President of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- Michael Curry, Deputy CEO & General Counsel at the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Katherine Craven, Chief Administrative and Financial Officer at Babson
- Ted Landsmark, Director of the Dukakis Center at Northeastern University
- David Cash, Dean of the John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies at UMass Boston
- Carolyn Ryan, Senior Vice President for Policy and Research at the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Kate Dineen, Executive Vice President at A Better City
- Jeffrey Berry, Professor of Political Science at Tufts University
For more information about cSPA, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.