Honos Civicus at the School of Medicine
Apply to Honos Civicus - TUSM
The 2024 Honos Civicus application period is now closed.
The Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for the Honos Civicus Society MD* Class of 2024 at TUSM. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating fourth-year students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Tufts University School of Medicine. Inductees have the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on their community involvement while creating an alumni network of health professionals who share a meaningful, continued commitment to civic life and social impact through their careers.
* This application is for School of Medicine students in the MD program who are graduating in May 2024. This includes MD/MPH, MD/MBA, MD/PHD, and MD/MA students. School of Medicine students who are based solely in TUSM’s Graduate Degree Programs have a different application timeline, as do students in the other Health Professional graduate schools.
Strong Candidates Will Have
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements (The CSL requirement for MD students; the ALE for MD/MPH students).
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication within civic life activities (including service, advocacy, and other social, racial and health justice endeavors).
- Made a positive impact.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- A strong academic record.
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition at a ceremony of Class of 2024 Tufts students accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the commencement program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Features on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of civically active health professionals.
Applications will be reviewed by the Honos Civicus which includes representatives from Tisch College of Civic Life as well as faculty and staff members from the School of Medicine.
The application timeline for the Class of 2024 will be:
- Week of June 12: Applications open
- Monday, August 7th, 2023 @ 11:45pm EST: Application due
- Early September, 2023: Announcement of Class of 2024 Honos Civicus Society
- Spring 2024, exact dates TBD: Honos Civicus Society Induction Ceremony
Email Jen Greer-Morrissey for further information.